A Typical Meeting
On March 3, 2017, we held our first meeting. Since that time, our meetings have evolved into a series of activities, all of which have provided much fun and enjoyment for about an hour each month (not counting preparation time, of course). At the end of each meeting, members volunteer to be responsible for the various activities that take place. Most activities are prepared for in advance of the meeting, due to the amount of preparation needed. The following list of activities make up our meetings now:
1. OPENING REMARKS: As people arrive for the scheduled meeting, it's always fun and interesting to hear remarks about Sherlock Holmes, Watson, Mrs. Hudson, and anyone else connected to ACD's stories. It could be something someone heard or saw in the media, but whatever it is, it's always welcome.
2. A QUOTATION FROM A STORY: Usually, the first order of business is to identify a quote from one of the SH stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle. The quote is presented, and members try to guess the story and the speaker.
3. A CHARACTER DESCRIPTION: There are hundreds of different characters all throughout the SH stories. A description is read, and members try to guess the character being described.
4. A PLACE MENTIONED IN A STORY: Locations vary widely throughout the SH stories. A description of a place is presented, and members try to guess the story where the place is mentioned.
5. A FUN FACT RELATED TO SHERLOCK HOLMES OR ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE: Facts relevant to SH are presented to amaze and amuse members present.
6. SHERLOCK HOLMES SHOW AND TELL: This part of the meeting is reserved for collectors who wish to brag about the SH stuff they have collected over the years.
7. A MYSTERY THAT NEEDS TO BE SOLVED: Tom, one of the founding members of the club, always presents a mystery that must be solved by the members present.
8. PRESENTATION AND DISCUSSION OF A SH STORY: Of course, what would a meeting dedicated to SH be without a discussion of one of the stories? Usually, a member presents a synopsis of a story, then entertains discussion about the story.
Who can attend our meetings?
Meetings are typically held on the third Tuesday of each month at 7pm. This varies from time to time, but we always try to adhere to this schedule.
Before the Covid-19 pandemic, our meetings were conducted in the front lobby at Beach PC, a computer repair shop in Wilmington, North Carolina. Because of the pandemic, we have been conducting our meetings on-line using the ZOOM video conferenciong platform. Since our meetings now use ZOOM, practically anyone can join! All you have to is goto ZOOM's website, and enter the following meeting ID and password: